- Manly - Monstrous - Vicious -
Make sure you send the note about your entries to the group, not to the admins personally. If you don't, your entry won't be counted and considered legitimate for the contest.
As time has gone by, this group has flowered and gained more and more followers, showing us that the Realms are pretty much alive! To celebrate, we've cooked up a contest - huzzah!
Entries may be *ANYTHING* that stays true to the theme (and to the group rules as featured on the homepage, naturally), be they paintings, animated icons, crafts, usable resources or literature. Just aim to impress us! Here's how to:
Naturally, since the idea is to leave the trodden path, originality will give you extra credit with the jury. People who are operating clearly out of their comfort zones can count on our adoration!
Don't deviate from the 'manly-monstrous-vicious' theme, which we've picked for a reason:
-------> There aren't enough men in the galleries. The focus of your submissions should be unmistakably on the male if there is more than one creature in there. Don't eschew the testosterone, embrace the beef. The title says 'manly' after all...!
-------> Not only must the creature be male, it must also be considered monstrous. The poor, poor Creature folder deserves our love too - by no means post your submissions in the OCs, NPCs or Game NPCs folders. The others are still fair game. If wanting for inspiration, consider were-creatures, outsiders, undead, minotaurs, wemics, orcs, ogres and ogre mages, giants, trolls, merfolk, centaurs, half-dragons... Take a gander at the Creatures folder, to see what is missing in there, or try these links: 'Monster Manual 3.5' ; 'Monsters of Faerun 3.5'
-------> We're striving to leave the cute and cuddly, the comfy and nice Realms behind for a change and focus on violence and uglyness, of which there is still plenty and to spare. Don't forget to appropriately label your work to be conform DeviantART rules on mature content, if your submissions contain anything extreme. Please, no pr0n.
How to participate?
1. Sign up by SENDING A NOTE
TO THE GROUPmaking sure you tell us what you'll be participating with: 'a portrait of a Balor' for example, or 'A cleric of Tempus and a Kir-Lanan fighting to the death'. 'A poem' or 'an armour design' is a tad meager, and you'll be asked to elaborate on that a bit. If your subject matter is too similar to a previous contestant's, we'll discuss that via note as well.
2. Watch your topic of choice be listed after your name in this journal's next update. Check if all is correct.
3. Three-two-one GO! Go make art! If you keep feeling inspired, you can participate with more than one deviation. Just make sure you've created the deviations you enter the contest with especially for the occasion, and make sure you announce your successive entries beforehand, again via group note, like stated above. You can sign up until the day before the contest's deadline. Make sure you're a member if you aren't already, since you entries will need to be submitted to the group gallery.
4. Then we play the waiting game. The jury will carefully consider each entry and award a score at their own discretion. Winners will be announced in this journal entry's final update.
5. Fame! Everlasting glory! Confetti!
What prizes may you expect?
FIRST PRIZE is a Group Homepage Journal Feature, a full-body character portrait (black&white or sepia tones) by *BATTLEFAIRIES, a six-month Premium Membership from ~BatPhace and a big helping of Mother Rashemen's Pointstew. Try it, it tastes brilliant.
SECOND PRIZE is a literary favour from *Sushi-Troll (poem, song or short story - restrictions apply, so contact Sushi for details), a three-month Premium Membership from ~BatPhace and a medium-sized-yet-still-generous-helping of Mother Rashemen's Pointstew
THIRD PRIZE is a one-month Premium Membership from ~BatPhace, plus Pointstew
HONOURABLE MENTIONS receive a free critique from either *BATTLEFAIRIES, *Sushi-Troll or ~BatPhace, depending on the sort of deviation you'd like to see praised / picked apart by us, and a fist-sized blob of Pointstew heading for you at the speed of an unladen swallow during a brawl in the Happy Ogre Inn
LOSER gets thrown in an oubliette (/jk)
THE DEADLINE FOR THIS CONTEST IS DECEMBER 17th. All deviations must be submitted to this group before the end of that day.
... Enough talk already! This idle banter is just keeping you fine folk from creating masterpieces. GO FORTH AND DEVIATE!
Contestants so far:
- Half-orc barbarian wielding a bloody battle-axe in the midst of a crowd of monsters.
- Über-manly, monstrous centaur.
- 2nd Edition Bariaur fighter priest with war club.
- An iron golem posing in triumph.
- Male minotaur swinging a suitably nasty piece of weaponry and dressed up in all the finery of badassium.
- A tiefling bard fighting a couple of modrons.
- Rakshasa mage, fighting.
- A Leonal Barbarian roaring before a battle.
- A fire giant blacksmith working its manly muscles to a sweat!
- Half-dragon fighting half-orc and his minions.
Brute Measure - Contest EntryThe ogre wiped blood spray from his face and hefted his club, searching the smoky darkness for another opponent. A guttural laugh split his lips. Opponent. What a word for these small, pale menfolk; weak and soft they were. He looked down at the bone pierced filth, the remains of a human warrior. It only made him laugh harder. He spat at the pile of meat and strode on toward the burning carts. Tall trees ranged around this hunting ground, a narrow and pitted path. Merchants and pilgrims traveled it together, afraid of what might be hiding in the woods. They made an easy target for the ogre tribe and their patroness, Hag Segine. Thinking of her brought the echoing of drums through his flesh; the pounding so loud it made his vision pulse for a moment. It was always there, the rhythm like a second heart beat. Somewhere in the forest, the hag was still playing her old skin drum, gripping it with ancient, leathery thighs while she chanted spells as- A short story about an ogre warrior.
- Digital painting of a Kyton (Chain Devil).
- The Chieftain's Last Battle--old grizzled chieftain squaring off against a werewolf lord under the moonlight.